Firm Logo

Will a Gap in Medical Treatment Affect Your Claim?

By: Anapol Weiss

It’s important to seek medical help right away when you’re involved in a car accident – even if you don’t think you were seriously injured. Aside from the fact that the pain will likely increase in the coming days, having an official record of all car accident injuries is necessary when seeking compensation.

Insurance adjusters will look for ways to devalue a person’s claim, and this begins with reviewing medical records to assess the documented injuries. It is, therefore, necessary to describe to a physician every pain and injury immediately following an auto accident – no matter how small or insignificant it may seem. If that small pain turns into a bigger health problem down the road, its progression will have been documented since the accident occurred. As a basic rule, there should be a record of every medical issue following the crash, from the initial doctor’s visit to the last visit.

Follow Your Doctor’s Orders

Be sure to follow all of your doctor’s instructions with regard to treatment, rest, medication and other orders. Failure to follow medical advice will not only prevent you from getting well as quickly as possible, but it could also hurt your personal injury claim.

Make Appointments and Keep Them

Your physician should always have up-to-date information on your condition as you recover, which means numerous appointments are necessary. There are very few good reasons to miss a doctor’s appointment, especially because an insurance adjuster will try to use a gap in treatment to prove your injuries are not as severe as you have claimed. Be sure to communicate the details of any gaps in treatment to your attorney if you know you will miss an appointment.

We can help if you believe you have grounds for a car accident lawsuit. Our highly skilled and award-winning car accident lawyers can investigate the accident and find out if another driver’s negligence was to blame. Contact Anapol Weiss today to discuss your situation with a PA or NJ personal injury attorney.