Deaths and catastrophic injuries resulting from truck accidents are unfortunately common. In fact, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reported that more than 3,500 auto collisions involving large trucks and buses resulted in at least one fatality in 2013. About 69,000 crashes involved a nonfatal injury during the same year.
Tractor trailer crashes differ from those involving other types of vehicles for many reasons. For one, the size and weight of a large truck make them very dangerous in the event of a collision with other vehicles. During a crash, debilitating damage can be inflicted on other motorists and their vehicles without much damage occurring to the truck itself.
Tractor trailers also have various limitations in terms of maneuvering on the road. Trucks cannot stop as quickly as cars can in emergency situations. Their size and height also create several blind spots called no-zones for the truck driver. Other motorists should be mindful of a truck’s no-zones to help avoid being hit by the truck driver. Although motorists cannot anticipate every careless maneuver a truck driver may take, motorists can help to protect themselves from other drivers’ mistakes.
The trucking industry has an extensive list of laws and regulations called the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs), which cover:
- Registration, licensing and insurance rules
- Number of hours a truck driver is able to continuously work and operate a truck, and recording requirements
- Carrier and vehicle safety including GPS and bridge strike issues, hazardous materials, etc.
- Safety belt rules, civil penalty proceedings and other laws and regulations
- Driver safety and health regulations including drug and alcohol laws, medical requirements, etc.
- State-specific rules involving commercial driver’s licenses, apportioned tags, etc.
An experienced lawyer will be able to examine these and other key issues involved in a specific tractor trailer or semi truck accident in order to make important conclusions. More specifically, the above factors come into play when determining fault and seeking justice and compensation.
Contact Anapol Weiss for Assistance
Negligent driving in any vehicle is extremely dangerous and can lead to fatal accidents. When a crash involves a tractor trailer, the consequences are often devastating. Contact our truck accident lawyers if a careless driver caused a collision that injured you or a loved one. Our team can investigate the situation and answer your legal questions.