Summer brings with it a whole host of new driving dangers and concerns. While conventional wisdom might tell us that driving in wintery conditions is the most dangerous, August actually ranks as the most dangerous month of the year to drive. With these added dangers, focused driving is more important than ever to avoid an auto collision.
Stay aware of the following risks as you drive this summer:
- Teenagers are on the road. Statistically, young drivers are involved in the most car accidents. With school over for the year, teens flood onto the roads in larger numbers than they have for months. This poses an increased risk both for them and for the drivers around them. New and experienced drivers alike should take particular care as they navigate the roads throughout the summer.
- The Fourth of July is the most dangerous day of the year to drive. Whether it’s the huge number of people out on the road, the festive atmosphere, or the proclivity to daytime drinking, several factors contribute to making July 4th a risky day to drive. Data from 2007 tells us that 926 people were killed in auto accidents in just that one day.
- Certain hours are riskier than others. More auto collisions tend to occur during rush hour. The hours between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. are the most dangerous time to be on the road in terms of the absolute number of people killed. The hours between 12 a.m. and 4 a.m., however, see the highest number of fatalities proportionally (less drivers are on the road, but more of them are involved in accidents).
- Weekend traffic can lead to more incidents. The shore traffic from Philadelphia to South Jersey is legendary. Not only are the roads congested, but people may be more inclined to use their cell phones when they are stuck in traffic. Unfortunately, using a cell phone while momentarily stopped is not a safe driving practice, and contributes to car crashes.
- Hot weather contributes to car troubles. The extreme heat of summer months can adversely affect the car’s battery, engine, and tires. Make sure to stay on top of repairs and maintenance throughout the summer months.
Even if you take every possible care, other people’s bad decisions and carelessness can still put you in danger. Anapol Weiss has decades of experience dealing with victims of car accidents and truck accidents. Contact our car accident attorneys to get your legal questions answered.