A Philadelphia car accident attorney offers more than legal advice and a path to compensation. The lawyers at Anapol Weiss in Philadelphia, PA offer compassionate support while guiding clients through the complexities of a car wreck claim. From the moment you contact our firm for a case evaluation, you will feel at ease speaking to our the award-winning representatives and attorneys.
Our car accident attorneys have dedicated their careers to obtaining justice, minimizing the impact of injuries with financial compensation, and preventing careless drivers from making the same mistake twice. We are ready to serve you during your time of need.
At Anapol Weiss, we talk to auto accident victims in Philadelphia on a routine basis. Unfortunately, car wrecks are some of the most common types of personal injury claims pursued today. In speaking to our clients and prospects, we’ve learned some of the key factors to look for in a good car accident attorney:
- A friendly and straightforward approach to communication. Attorneys stay busy and many work in high-stress environments on a daily basis. However, client satisfaction often hinges on an attorney’s ability to connect with clients. You want an attorney who is willing to give you complete answers, but who also takes a no-nonsense approach to your case.
- Strong, active connections in legal and local communities. Search for firms and attorneys who actively participate in legal associations and receive awards for their work. Positive referrals and online reviews will also highlight the star motor vehicle accident attorneys in your community.
- Access to the resources necessary to fully explore the claim. From independent investigations to the courtroom skill, a firm should demonstrate the ability to pursue your case through every step. Trial experience and a history of high dollar resolutions often indicate the capabilities you want in a personal injury firm.
While many attorneys market themselves in a similar manner, not every attorney offers the same skills and drive to maximize your claim and provide satisfactory support. Great personal injury attorneys never take the path of least resistance. They do what is right for their clients at every step. “What is right” often includes assistance with insurers, employers, medical professionals, and others. A Philadelphia car crash attorney at Anpol Weiss will serve as your legal advocate in every incident-related matter.
As you search for an attorney, avoid calling the first number you see and hiring the attorney on the spot. Ask around, talk to different attorneys, and do some online research. At Anapol Weiss, our reputation for success precedes us. We look forward to showing you why more locals hire us after suffering in preventable road accidents.
Contact Our Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers Today
Many of our attorneys receive recognition as Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers every year. We have recovered billions of dollars for our clients over the years, and we are committed to each client we serve. Ask us anything about our practice areas, our attorneys’ experience, or our firm’s history. We will gladly share everything you need to know to make an informed decision about taking legal action. After a car wreck, you deserve access to qualified and accessible attorneys. At Anapol Weiss, we’re here to make your life a little easier after traumatic car accidents.
According to a report the CDC released in mid-2016, the United States carries the highest rate of vehicle incident deaths in comparison with other high-income countries. Every year, over 32,000 people die and millions suffer injuries on our roadways. Car crashes happen quickly, and even the best defensive driving may not prevent serious collisions and injuries. Despite laws, awareness campaigns, and semi-autonomous vehicle protections, some drivers continue to engage in reckless behaviors.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, from 2013 to 2016, the U.S. saw a 12% increase in car accident fatalities. Of those recorded, there were 37, 461 fatalities from car accidents just in 2016.
When negligent drivers cause serious harm to others, the Philadelphia personal injury attorneys at Anapol Weiss represent and protect the rights of those injured. Since 1977, our firm has served the victims of car accidents in insurance and accident claims.
Taking Action After an Accident
1. Stop Your Vehicle Immediately.
Pennsylvania law requires that individuals do not leave an accident scene if injuries or severe property damage has occurred. If possible, do not block traffic.
2. Get to Safety.
If you were injured in the collision, move to a safe area and wait for emergency responders to arrive. Make sure that someone on the scene has called for an ambulance. Never refuse treatment, even if you don’t think your injuries are severe — symptoms that may not be obvious right away could intensify later.
3. Keep Calm.
Don’t admit fault for the accident, and don’t make accusations. What you say immediately after an auto accident can be used against you later, so avoid discussing the accident with others involved.
4. Cooperate with Police.
Cooperate fully with investigating police officers, but do not describe the accident. Instead, politely indicate that you would prefer to speak about the accident later. You may be able to obtain an “Accident Exchange Sheet,” which contains the information of the other drivers involved in the accident. If this document is unavailable, make written notes of the names, addresses, phone numbers, and license plate numbers of everyone involved, including witnesses. If you can do so safely, take photos of all the vehicles from various angles. Take video as well if your phone is capable.
Leading Causes of Auto Accidents in Philadelphia
When discussing auto accident causes, many articles focus on singular causes. In reality, most car accident cases involve several contributing factors. During a personal injury claim, we scrutinize every contributing factor to determine liability and fight for maximum restitution for our clients.
Some of the most common causes and contributing factors of car accidents include:
- Driver error – The single most common cause of accidents is driver error. If everyone followed the rules and safety recommendations on the roadway, accidents would not happen as often. Within this category, drivers often engage in the following negligent and accident-causing behaviors:
- Drunk driving – By definition, anyone who drives with a BAC level over 0.08% engages in negligent driving behaviors. Driving while intoxicated affects reaction times, motor functionality, and judgment. When drunk driving leads to other unsafe behaviors such as swerving, speeding, or failure to follow the rules, serious accidents occur. We take drunk driving accident cases very seriously at Anapol Weiss and often strive to obtain punitive damages for gross negligence on behalf of our clients.
- Distracted driving – While many laws focus on texting while driving, any activity that takes a driver’s attention off the roadways constitutes distracted driving. Negligent distractions may include eating, applying makeup, playing a game, reaching into the backseat of the vehicle, and digging around in a bag while driving. Our attorneys use recordings, witness statements, and accident recreation technology to prove distracted driving in many car accident cases.
- Speeding – Excessive speeding as a sole cause or contributing factor will affect the outcome of every car accident case. The court will carefully look at speeds at the time of the accident to determine liability.
- Reckless driving – Swerving, unsafe lane changes, and tailgating may all contribute to accidents and serious injuries.
- Failure to follow the rules of the road – Any driver that turns the key in the ignition must follow the rules of the road including stopping for pedestrians, following road signs, and wearing a seatbelt.
- Automotive defects and malfunctioning – In some cases, driver error does not cause an accident. Instead, an internal defect in the vehicle creates unsafe conditions the driver cannot control. These cases often include single car road crashes, rollovers, and rear-ending accidents. Only a careful investigation of the parts in a vehicle will uncover potential defects or malfunctions. At Anapol Weiss, we will pursue product liability claims against auto manufacturers in cases involving defective or dangerous parts.
- Roadway and construction hazards – Though not as common, our attorneys occasionally see claims arising from construction zones and roadway hazards. In these cases, a construction firm, transportation agency, or local government may bear some or all liability for an incident.
During a case, our attorneys take the time to understand all the facts to clarify liability in a claim. In a choice no-fault state such as Pennsylvania, understanding liability and traffic laws allows us to paint a clear picture of what took place at the scene of the accident. We use every resource at our disposal to build car accident cases designed to secure fair and full compensation.
Philadelphia Car Crash Statistics
The most recent data available for accidents in Pennsylvania are from 2016. The statistics highlight the risk of accidents and the most common contributing factors:
- In 2016, individuals reported around 15 crashes per hour.
- Every day, at least three people died.
- 129, 395 crashes were reported and 1,188 died in accidents during the same year.
- Compared to the United States, Pennsylvania had an average of one to two fewer deaths per 100,000 people.
- When compared with previous years, Pennsylvania saw more reported crashes (1.8% increase) and fewer total deaths and injuries (1% decrease). 2016 was the best year over the five-year period from 2012 to 2016.
- Most accidents occurred when drivers hit fixed objects. Other common crash types included angled collisions and rear endings.
- The most common driver errors associated with crashes included speeding, distracted driving, improper turns, and drunk driving.
While awareness stops some drivers from engaging in dangerous activities, the statistics clearly highlight the role of negligence in most incidents. When negligence leads to property damage, injuries, and death, those who suffer can take legal action against those responsible. If you become a statistic through no fault of your own, take steps to hold careless drivers accountable and obtain justice. Partner with Anapol Weiss.
Total Reported Car Accidents In Pennsylvania (2008-2016)
A closer look at the numbers released by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation reveals that after 2014 there was a spike in the number of reported crashes on Pennsylvania roads. According to the report, the total reported crashes in 2016 increased by 1.8% compared to 2015. However, fatalities decreased by 1.0% and total injuries went up by 1.2%
Types Car Accident Injuries in Philadelphia
Injuries add complexity to every car accident case. The type of car, momentum, point of impact, and individual physiology all play a role in the type and extent of injuries. While many outcomes can arise from car accidents, some injuries happen more often than others.
At Anapol Weiss, some of the most common car accident injuries we see include:
- Whiplash – During a sudden impact, the head and neck may rapidly move back and forth. In a movement similar to the cracking of a whip, the injury can cause a strain and tissue damage. While many whiplash injuries heal over time, some may cause chronic pain for years and prevent someone from engaging in certain activities.
- Fractures – The impact of a crash often results in broken bones. From broken ribs to skull fractures, every bone is vulnerable during a serious car accident. A fracture may create a neat break, puncture the skins surface, sever an artery, or shatter. Depending on the fracture and its complications, an individual may need a simple cast or several surgeries to recover. Some may require metal pins and synthetic replacements.
- Lacerations – While most soft tissue lacerations or cuts will heal over time with stitching, they can cause a significant loss of blood at the time of the accident. Some may even contribute to an accidental death.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Some of the most devastating injuries occur when the brain suffers severe trauma or impalement. Brain injuries manifest in many different ways, and symptoms may not appear immediately after an accident. If left untreated, some brain injuries may cause lifelong disability, change someone’s personality, or cause dramatic mood swings.
- Spinal cord injuries – A spinal cord injury may occur if a vehicle occupant experiences unnatural back stretching, compression, or a physical injury to the cord. These injuries may cause symptoms ranging from peripheral numbness (neuropathy) to complete paralysis.
Since many serious injuries may take time to manifest in the body, we encourage all car accident victims to seek medical assistance after an accident. A clear medical record will support your right to see compensation at a later date. The injury type, location, and severity will directly impact the amount of compensation awarded during a personal injury claim.
Contact a Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer for More Information
If you suffer an injury in Philadelphia, PA or surrounding areas as a resident or visitor, you will need the assistance of a personal injury lawyer to pursue legal action. At Anapol Weiss, we understand the devastation that arises from car accidents and the laws that protect people just like you from suffering without restitution. Allow us to help you find closure and fair compensation for your losses. We cannot guarantee an outcome, but we deliver our commitment to excellence backed by a history of success. For a case evaluation, contact our Philadelphia, PA office today.
“Your accomplishments are not simply attributed to expert leadership and hard-working employees, but you truly care about the person behind the case.”