On February 25, 2019, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a Safety Announcement advising users of the prescription drug Xeljanz about a possible increased risk of blood clots in the lungs after use of the drug.
If you or a loved one have suffered any pulmonary complications or symptoms of blood clots after taking the drug, please contact the personal injury attorneys at Anapol Weiss immediately to discuss your case. You may be entitled to significant compensation for your health condition.
Why Choose Anapol Weiss
At Anapol Weiss, our team of product liability attorneys have the experience and knowledge to help you seek justice and pursue compensation for your injuries.
- We have over 40 years of experience successfully advocating for clients who have been injured or died due to the negligence of medical professionals and pharmaceutical providers.
- We are dedicated to maintaining open and honest lines of communication with our clients to ensure you are always kept in the loop. We start with a comprehensive consultation process before formulating a legal strategy that best meets your needs.
- Our product liability lawyers have a proven record of success, recovering billions of dollars for our clients through verdicts and settlements. This includes several multi-billion-dollar settlements against pharmaceutical companies for defective or otherwise misleading products.
What is Xeljanz?
Xeljanz is the brand name for the drug tofacitinib. Manufactured by Pfizer, it is a medication used to treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA), psoriatic arthritis, and ulcerative colitis. There are two different types of Xeljanz prescriptions available:
- Xeljanz, typically taken twice daily
- Xeljanz XR, an extended release variant that is usually take once a day
Xeljanz was approved for treatment of RA in 2012 by the FDA, while Xeljanz XR was approved in 2016. In May 2018, it was approved for treatment of ulcerative colitis.
Xeljanz May Cause Dangerous Side Effects
Although Xeljanz and Xeljanz XR were previously approved, the FDA required Pfizer to hold clinical trials to evaluate the risk of serious side effects at various dosages, such as cardiovascular issues, cancer, or other opportunistic infections.
Recently, they discovered that patients treated with Xeljanz/Xeljanz XR at a 10mg twice daily dose had an increased occurrence of blood clots in the lungs, leading to an increased risk of death.
Who is Affected by These Side Effects?
All patients taking Xeljanz or Xeljanz XR at a twice-daily dosage of 10mg may be at a higher risk of blood clots. Symptoms may include:
- Sudden shortness of breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive sweating
- Chest or back pain
- Coughing up blood
- Clammy, discolored skin
Blood clots in the lungs (also known as a pulmonary embolism) are a serious affliction that can prevent blood flow to your lungs and oxygen from getting to your blood. If untreated, this can lead to death.
What Do I Do If I’m Affected?
If you are currently an affected patient, do not stop or change your dose without first consulting your doctor. Changing your normal dosage may worsen your condition. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, please seek immediate medical attention.
Once you are properly treated, retain the services of an attorney who can help you decide the best legal course of action for your injuries.
We Want to Help Victims of Xeljanz
At Anapol Weiss, we believe that any responsible parties should be held fully liable for any serious side effects you may have suffered as a result of regular Xeljanz use. Pfizer deserves to be held accountable for their failure to disclose these serious side effects to patients – and you deserve compensation for any health issues you may have suffered as a result.
Contact Us Today
If you or a loved one developed serious blood clots due to regular use of Xeljanz or Xeljanz XR, please contact Anapol Weiss immediately to discuss your case. You have to right to compensation for any serious health issues you developed due to negligence. Schedule a free, confidential consultation today to see how we can help you fight for what’s fair.