Anapol Weiss is a national leader in personal injury, product liability and mass tort litigation, having successfully litigated thousands of cases in state and federal courts. Our personal injury lawyers have obtained billions of dollars in successful verdicts, settlements and judgments on behalf of clients in a variety of mass tort, class action, environmental toxin, medical malpractice and automobile accident lawsuits.
- $4.85 billion in Vioxx litigation (MDL 1657): Merck & Co., Inc. agreed to pay $4.85 billion to resolve Vioxx-related claims involving heart attack, sudden cardiac death or stroke. Anapol Weiss Partner Sol Weiss served as Co-Liaison Counsel in the New Jersey Vioxx litigation.
- $3.75 billion settlement in Fen-Phen litigation (MDL 1203): American Home Products Corporation agreed to compensate thousands of people who used the diet drugs and suffered heart valve disease.
- $205 million Rezulin settlement (MDL 1348): Pfizer settled thousands of claims alleging the Rezulin diabetes drug caused severe liver damage and sometimes death.
- $200 million Trasylol settlement as co-lead counsel (MDL 1928): Bayer agreed to settle lawsuits alleging the heart surgery drug increased risk of kidney failure, heart attack, stroke and death.
- $114.5 million Baycol settlement (MDL 1431): Bayer settled thousands of lawsuits alleging use of the drug Baycol led to kidney failure, the development of a disease that causes damage to muscle called rhabdomyolysis, and other injuries.
- $90 million Propulsid settlement (MDL 1355): Janssen Pharmaceutical, Inc., a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, settled lawsuits alleging dangerous heartbeat irregularities associated with Propulsid, a drug used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Numerous confidential multimillion-dollar settlements involving dangerous drugs.
- Biomet M2a Magnum Hip Implant Settlement: Biomet has agreed to pay in excess of $150M to people who needed their failed metal-on-metal hip implant replaced. The settlement, negotiated by lead counsel Thomas Anapol, provided for a $200,000 base award for eligible claimants.
- Stryker Rejuvenate and ABG II Hip Implant Settlement: Stryker agreed to pay in excess of $1.4B to people who needed their hip replaced. The settlement negotiated by several lawyers, including Thomas Anapol, in this coordinated litigation, provided for a base award of $300,000 for eligible claimants per case. To date, it is the highest base settlement in any metal-on-metal hip implant litigation.
- $26 million Verdict Against General Motors: The defective design of a passenger’s seat back failed in a rear-end collision and rendered the passenger a quadriplegic.
- $20 million dollar verdict against tractor-trailer company for inadequate conspicuity and rear end under ride protection.
- $10.2 million verdict against Volkswagen in a products liability case for lack of an anti-submarining ramp for a rear-center seated occupant.
- $12 million verdict against a football helmet company for a spinal cord injury; the largest known verdict against a football helmet company for a spinal cord injury sustained by a user.
- $8.8 million verdict against Ford in a product liability lawsuit on behalf of a person injured in a roll-over accident.
- $3.75 million settlement in fatal fire lawsuit for the loss of a mother and three sisters in a fire caused by a heater that did not adhere to adequate inspection protocols and lacked certain features that decreases the likelihood of short-circuiting.
- $1.75 million settlement for a forklift driver paralyzed when the boom of another forklift struck the rear of his seat and propelled him upward into an overhead metal bar, breaking his neck and paralyzing him from the waist down.
- $325,000 verdict in which Anapol Schwartz established precedent for imposition of liability against a manufacturer of a tire changing machine whom the plaintiff agreed did not initiate events leading to the injury.
- Numerous confidential multimillion-dollar settlements involving industrial and consumer products.
- Confidential multi-million dollar settlement for child severely burned in fire from defective product.
- $765 million proposed settlement in the NFL Concussion Litigation: The settlement will contribute to immediate medical support to retired players in addition to funding new brain injury safety and research programs.
- Over $20 million dollars in settlements in Luzerne County “Kids for Cash” Scandal. Sol Weiss served as co-lead counsel in this class action, which compensated minors whose civil rights were violated.
- Settlement of a class action against Adidas for mislabeled shin guards, resulting in the establishment of a national fund for not-for-profit youth soccer organizations.
- $22 million for a client disabled by unnecessary spinal fusion surgery.
- $9.6 million in a case involving a substantial birth injury during labor.
- $8.3 million for a client who suffered permanent brain injury due to a hospital pain medication overdose.
- $6 million dollar verdict in Schuylkill county for failure to diagnose torn aorta leading to paraplegia.
- $3.5 million for a client with nerve damage from a post-operative injection.
- $2.1 million verdict in a case involving the death of a four year-old boy from pneumonia due to hospital negligence.
- $1.7 million for a case involving a doctor's failure to diagnose a rupturing aorta aneurysm.
- $1.4 million medical malpractice settlement for a client whose wife died from cardiac dysrythmia during a routine colonoscopy during which no monitor was prescribed.
- $1.2 million for a client where an emergency room doctor failed to diagnose a pulmonary embolism.
- $2 million for a mother’s estate when the defendant doctor failed to diagnose and treat pneumonia in a pregnant woman, which led to her death.
- $1.1 million dollar verdict for the estate of a man who died as a result of misdiagnosis of a debilitating muscle condition called rhabdomyolysis.
- $1.1 million dollar verdict for the estate of a man who died as a result of a drug interaction between Lopid and Lipitor.
- $800,000 settlement during a case involving the shoulder dystocia delivery of a newborn.
- $750,000 settlement for a four-year-old whose pediatricians delayed a bladder cancer diagnosis.
- $650,000 verdict in the first medical malpractice case to successfully conclude for a plaintiff in Dauphin County, PA.
- $4.25 million for a woman who suffered severe neurological injuries due to a hospital’s failure to timely treat the signs and symptoms of a stroke.
- $4.1 million verdict for a mother and child who suffered debilitating injuries as a result of the delivering doctor’s failure to perform a C-section.
- $2.5 million for a child born with neurological injuries because the attending obstetrician canceled an emergency C-section.
- $2 million for a ten month-old child who suffered destruction of her right eye global and blindness due to negligence in connection with lazy eye surgery.
- $1.4 million settlement for a 63 year-old husband and father who died because the attending physician failed to diagnose and treat a dissecting aortic aneurysm.
- $1 million for the death of a 42 year-old as a result of a physician improperly prescribing methadone to treat his chronic pain.
- $800,000 for a woman who developed chronic pain following an improperly performed cervical spine epidural procedure.
Construction Site Accidents
"Personal injury lawyers even the playing field for people hurt by big business."
- Sol Weiss, Managing Partner
- $19 million settlement for an iron worker who fell 13 feet and was rendered a quadriplegic after the construction company permitted him and other employees to work without safety equipment at heights of up to 30 feet.
- $14 million workplace safety lawsuit verdict, the largest verdict ever rendered in a workplace safety case in Delaware.
- $5 million verdict to the family of a man killed in an elevator shaft fall caused by violating state safety code and continuing to service a condemned elevator.
- $2.7 million verdict in a hand amputation case due to the lack of a barrier guard on a panel cutter.
- $2.5 million settlement for the estate of an electrician crushed by a 250-pound light fixture.
- $2 million settlement for a laborer injured in construction accident collapse.
- $1.75 million settlement for a refinery worker paralyzed in workplace fall.
- $1 million global settlement for workers injured by PECO electricity lines when a metal hoist contacted a power line of the PECO Energy Company.
- $950,000 recovery for a worker crushed by a forklift.
- Over $500 million in total asbestos recoveries in 25 years.
- $7.25 million dollar Philadelphia County verdict in 2014 on behalf of a mesothelioma victim.
- $4.3 million settlement in a tetra-ethyl lead exposure case.
- $1.6 million award, the largest asbestos victory in Delaware County, on behalf of a mesothelioma victim.
- The first and only jury verdict in favor of a mesothelioma victim in Bucks County, Pa.
- $20 Million Verdict Against a Trucking Company: A man suffered a brain injury after driving his car into the rear end of a tractor trailer stopped on the Schuylkill Expressway.
- $2.5 million award for arbitration in an auto accident case in which a landscaper fractured his thigh, knees, lower legs and toes, and suffered the loss of his spleen.
- $2 million award for a client who suffered brain injuries, permanent memory loss and personality changes when a tractor-trailer caused a serious accident.
- $1.4 million verdict for a man who suffered multiple injuries in a car accident, including a left arm brachial plexus injury.
- $1.3 million verdict for a sanitation worker struck by a SEPTA bus .
- $1.15 million settlement for a child's death in auto accident involving a tractor-trailer.
- $740,000 settlement for a woman injured in a drunk driving accident: A woman suffered a brain injury in a car accident caused by a drunk driver.
- Numerous confidential multi-million dollar settlements on behalf of individuals and loved ones injured in negligent trucking and bus cases.
- A multimillion-dollar settlement for a child who contracted E. coli at the Philadelphia Petting Zoo.
- $1.07 million verdict for an injured record producer who was hit by a canoe and suffered hearing loss.
- $900,000 verdict for a woman raped by a house cleaner for whom a criminal backround check was not done.
- An $800,000 jury verdict for a man injured when a tree fell on his car while he was driving to work. This was the largest jury verdict recorded in memory in Columbia County, Pa.
- $550,000 settlement for injured subcontractor who fell from unguarded elevation and suffered Orthopedic injuries.
- $750,000 settlement for family of a man was involved in a fatal shooting at restaurant that failed to provide security in the parking lot.
- $675,000 settlement for a severely injured inmate who attempted suicide where prison failed to maintain suicide watch -despite psychiatric history
$500,000 settlement to the family of a man who was served while visibly intoxicated and then drove while impaired and was in a one car fatal car accident
- $1.2 million verdict in compensatory and punitive damages in a fraud case in which the client sued her husband for fraud in undervaluing the couple's jointly held stock.
- $10.6 million to a child who suffered brain damage from the varicella vaccine.
- $9 million with a lifetime payout of $40 million on behalf of a child who suffered a reaction to the chicken pox vaccine that left him with a developmental delay and seizure disorder.
- A woman received $4.5 million with an expected lifetime payout of $11.6 million after developing Guillain-Barré Syndrome and becoming paralyzed.
- $1.5 million award for a woman who developed Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) after receiving an influenza vaccine.
- $3.5 million award for a man who became permanently paralyzed after receiving a flu vaccine.
- $610,000 award for a child who was diagnosed with transverse myelitis after receiving his childhood vaccinations.
- $2 million award for a woman who was diagnosed with GBS and paralyzed as a result of an influenza vaccine.
- $460,000 Settlement for a Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) Victim: A woman was diagnosed with CIDP after receiving a flu vaccine.
- $850,000 award for an elderly man who became paralyzed as a result of the influenza vaccine.
- $500,000 award for a former nurse who was diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome as a result of a TDaP vaccination.
- Dozens of six-figure settlements over the last three years for clients who have been diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome, transverse myelitis, CIDP, or lupus as a result of various vaccines such as the influenza vaccine, TDaP, Varicella, and Gardasil.